Gluten Free Cheese Sauce covers delicious gluten free beer braised bratwurst.
I know it’s November and your mind is on Turkey, but it’s not too late to sink your teeth in a gluten free beer braised chicken bratwurst from First Fresh Chicken Sausage. This recipe is so simple, that you can easily whip it up on a busy night or it’s perfect for watching Sunday Night Football. You can even make a little bit extra to take for lunch during the week. All your co-workers will be jealous when they are eating peanut butter and jelly and you are sinking your teeth into a juicy bratwurst.
If you have been following me for any length of time, you know that I love First Fresh Chicken Sausage. Recently they came out with a new product: Chicken Bratwurst. All of my favorite things about First Fresh Chicken Sausage- white meat, no fillers, cage free chickens, now comes in Bratwurst form!
I was so excited to try it. Of course when I think Bratwurst I immediately think beer-braised, and when I think beer I think cheese sauce. I’m not sure why. Bratwurst probably goes more with sauerkraut, but I do not like sauerkraut. In fact, I pretty much don’t like any foods that are fermented.
Anyways, back before I was gluten free we would have fondue nights and make a beer cheese sauce and I just thought it would be great on these bratwursts. I was right. It is delicious.
Luckily I didn’t even have to go to the store. I had everything I needed for this recipe in the fridge: gluten free beer, brats, cheese, milk, and a bit of gluten free flour (GF Jules of course!). Those yummy looking rolls, I always have a bag in the freezer. This is honestly one of the easiest meals you can whip up.
What are you waiting for? Grab some First Fresh Chicken Bratwurst and get going!
Happy gluten free eating!
- 1 gluten free beer
- 1 package First Fresh Chicken Bratwurst
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour (see note!)
- remainder of gluten free beer and enough milk to make 1 cup
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown bratwurst in oil over medium heat. About 2 minutes on each side.
- Pour gluten free beer over bratwurst.
- Simmer of medium low heat for about 10 minutes or until done.
- Remove bratwurst and reserve remaining beer in measuring cup.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour. Cook for one minute.
- Add enough milk to beer to make one cup.
- Add slowly to flour butter mixture, whisking constantly.
- Add cheese and stir till melted.
- If mixture is to thick, add milk to thin.
- Taste and add salt/pepper if needed.
Don't use a gluten free flour that is bean based. It will give the sauce a funny taste. Be sure that your beer is gluten free.