Crunchy gluten free fried chicken with crispy waffles is a classic!
This post was sponsored by Cookin’ Wit’ Gus. All opinions are my own. Don’t forget to enter to in your choice of seasoned fry mix or rubs!
The Way to a Girl’s Heart
I know they say the way to a man’s heart is food, but it’s also the way to my heart. Though the first meal my husband ever made me was Arroz Con Pollo, the second was Fried Chicken and I love Fried Chicken. When I was little I could eat my weight in Fried Chicken.
Now that I’m a bit older, I don’t eat my weight in it, but I still love it. Since going gluten free it has been more difficult to find fried chicken that is Celiac safe. Luckily, my husband has been willing to try out tons of different gluten free flours and bread crumbs to find a way to keep making me fried chicken!
Gluten Free Fried Chicken and Waffles
We do fried chicken a bit different than most people, but I swear it is even better! In order to limit the grease and oil, we actually boil our chicken before dipping it in egg and flour and quick frying.It keeps it moist and juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Before going gluten free we always used bread crumbs. After going gluten free we found that just about everything we tried that was gluten free burned, even though we are only frying for a couple of minutes.
Awhile back I told you about Cookin’ Wit’ Gus Fry Mix. It is hands down my favorite for frying chicken. Below is our recipe for crispy fried chicken, and while you can use your own flour blend, I highly recommend ordering this Chicken Fry Mix. It doesn’t burn and it has awesome flavor!
Now, you can’t have fried chicken without waffles! I’ve tried making waffles with a bunch of our favorite pancake mixes, but haven’t had much luck. The hubby always complains that they taste like waffle shaped pancakes, so I worked on my own recipe. These are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. The perfect side to gluten free fried chickens. To make them dairy free, use a dairy free butter and a milk alternative.
Who Am I Giving Fry Mix to This Christmas?
You! Well, one of you! Enter below to win Fry Mix or your choice of seasoning from Cookin’ Wit’ Gus. Even if you aren’t the lucky winner you should still check it out. It is a great price and it makes a great gift!
Don’t tell him (he doesn’t usually read my blog, so the secret is safe on the internet!), but my dad is getting a gift basket of items from Cookin’ with Gus for Christmas. I am so excited to make him a basket with items from Cookin’ Wit’ Gus.
Don’t forget to enter the other 12 Days of Gluten Free Giveaways!
- 8 pieces chicken (legs and thighs)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups oil (enough to come about half way up the chicken)
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned fry mix (I prefer Cookin' Wit' Gus) (fry mix is a seasoned flour)
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free flour (I prefer GF Jules)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Boil Chicken in salted water or gluten free chicken broth for 20 minutes or until just cooked.
- Beat eggs with milk.
- Dip Chicken pieces in egg and then in fry mix.
- Fry a couple pieces at a time, just until browned.
- Beat together gluten free flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In separate bowl beat together melted butter, vanilla and 1 1/2 cups milk. Add eggs and beat together.
- Pour egg and milk mixture over dry ingredients and stir until combined. If mixture is to dry, add in remain 1/4 cup milk.
- Cook on heated waffle iron, according to waffle iron directions.