Gluten Free quinoa and chicken sausage stuffed acorn squash with grated parmesan & fresh herbs are the perfect addition to your fall meal plan.
This post was sponsored by First Fresh Chicken Sausage. All opinions are my own.
A trip down memory lane
When I was a young child fall meant cooler temperatures, colored leafs, and lots of time outside feeling like I was one with nature. It was such a peaceful time. As an adult, living in Miami, it can be difficult to recreate that feeling, and I often find myself longing for those childhood moments of peace.A fall inspired dish to bring back your favorite fall memories! Click To Tweet
Though complete re-creation is not possible, when I make fall inspired dishes, I am taken back to those childhood moments.
Chicken Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash, Stuffed full of goodness!
Ever since I was a child I have loved the fillings of items more than the actual item. I was the kids who ate the toppings off the pizza or the filling out of the stuffed shells. I created a BBQ Chicken Calzone not for the amazing crust, but for the filling.
I’m going to admit it. This Chicken Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash is no different. The filling is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Best part? It is actually pretty good for you too! Combine it with roasted acorn squash and it is delicious!
This recipe is so easy, there really isn’t a lof of explaining, but I have a few tips for you just to make it easier!
If you have been following My Gluten Free Miami for any length of time, you know I love First Fresh Chicken Sausage. Not only is it lower in fat than pork and made from ingredients you can actually read, it just tastes amazing! I used the Mild Italian, but the Hot Italian or Breakfast Sausage would all be great! If you haven’t had a chance to try them yet, ask your local grocery store to order it. You won’t regret it!
The key to adding flavor, without a lot of salt and fat is fresh herbs. I like to buy the little box of poultry herbs. It has sage, thyme and rosemary in it. It saves money because I only need to buy one box, instead of 3 . Feel free to use your favorite herbs!
If you don’t need 4 servings, you can easily cut the recipe in half!
Gluten Free Panko
I used gluten free panko to help hold it together, but you could use a plain gluten free bread crumb. It would be just as good. If you have trouble finding them you can get gluten free panko on Amazon (affiliate link).
Enjoy this little taste of fall dish!
Happy Gluten Free Eating!
- 2 small acorn squash (2-3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 12 ounce package gluten free fresh chicken sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan (divided)
- 1/2 cup gluten free panko crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cut acorn squash in half, rub with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cut side down on baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, make the filling.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pan.
- Brown Chicken Sausage
- Add fresh herbs and sautee for a minute.
- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine cooked quinoa, parmesan, gluten free panko, salt and pepper.
- Add Chicken Sausage/Herb Mixture.
- Stir together well.
- Add egg and stir again.
- Stuff into acorn squash, sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes